2012 Ron Brown Scholars Selected
May 09, 2012
Fourteen of 6,000+ Applicants Join Ranks of Prestigious African-American Scholar Program
Charlottesville, VA (May 9, 2012) – The Ron Brown Scholar Program, the nation’s leading scholarship program for African-American youth, today announced its 2012 class of Scholars. Of the more than 6,000 applications received this year, only 14 were awarded this honor.
Founded in 1996 and named in honor of the first African-American Secretary of Commerce, the Ron Brown Scholar Program provides students with the financial resources to attend some of the finest colleges and universities in the country, in addition to promoting outstanding service opportunities for the next generation of promising African-American leaders.
The 2012 Ron Brown Scholar Program recipients are:
- Victoria Akah (Memphis, Tennessee) * Ridgeway HS
- Alister Bent (Westin, Florida) * Nova HS
- David A. Boone, Jr. (Cleveland, Ohio) * MC2 Stem HS
- SallyAnn M. Garvey-Lumumba (Vernon-Rochville, Connecticut) * Homeschool
- William Q. Humphrey (Marion, South Carolina) * Marion HS
- Faith A. Jackson (Bowie, Maryland) * Charles H. Flowers HS
- Miles J. Malbrough (Hendersonville, Tennessee) * Beech HS
- Christopher A. Middleton (Newport News, Virginia) * Warwick HS
- Kelsey A. Miller (Dunkirk, Maryland) * Northern HS
- Tyrell J. Russell (Riviera Beach, Florida) * Suncoast HS
- Mohammed A. Toure (Darby, Pennsylvania) * Episcopal Academy
- Rassan G. Walker, Jr. (Louisville, Kentucky) * DuPont Manual HS
- Joellé M. Williams (Oakley, California) * Liberty HS
- Ken-Terika Zellner (Thomaston, Georgia) * Upson-Lee HS
To view the 2012 Scholars Click Here
Ron Brown Scholars are selected on the basis of demonstrated academic excellence, leadership potential, social commitment and financial need. The 2012 applicant pool included applications from all 50 states. Applicants must proceed through a highly competitive selection process against thousands of other qualified candidates, culminating in an invitation to spend a weekend in Washington, D.C. for the final round of interviews. Ten to twenty winners are chosen at the conclusion of this weekend each year.
For additional information on the 2012 recipients please contact: Michael A. Mallory, Executive Director Phone: 434-964-1588
For media inquiries contact: email@example.com