485 Hillsdale Drive, Suite 206 Charlottesville, VA 22901 | (434) 964-1588
Each year, there are thousands of hopeful black and African American high school students, many of whom come from challenging backgrounds, who want to attend college. Quite simply, the demand is far greater than our current resources. The Ron Brown Scholar Program awards a limited amount of scholarships to an increasing pool of qualified applicants nationwide. For example, in 2013, the Program received more than six thousand applications and was only able to award 19 scholarships. With your support, the Program can make a greater difference as it seeks to increase the number of scholarships it could award each year.
With generous support from sponsors and donors like you, the Ron Brown Scholar Program can continue to:
- Recruit the Best and the Brightest: We capture intellectually-gifted African Americans with powerful values and characteristics and propel them into a world they may never have known.
- Invest in our Next Generation of Leaders: We focus on students with a keen interest in leadership, entrepreneurship, community engagement and public service – the four pillars of the late Ronald H. Brown’s legacy to uplift people of all races, cultures and ethnicities – especially our disadvantaged youth.
- Foster a Unique Culture of Philanthropy: We bring together Scholars to discuss, explore and generate new ideas in a wide range of timely social topics with distinguished leaders and experts in various fields to help create common goals and identify practical approaches to solve complex social problems.
- Provide a Safety Net: We create a strong family bond among Scholars, program staff and partners who together provide a network of support, nurturing, counseling, friendship and camaraderie where no one falls through.
- Do More than Write a Check: We personalize high-touch and highly effective approaches to mentoring and guidance to uncover the Scholar’s academic and professional potential, advance their careers and prepare them for professional and community leadership roles where they make a noticeable impact.
- Build Capacity for Success: We help Scholars develop an understanding of college affordability and financial literacy so they graduate from the top undergraduate and graduate programs in the country, make a difference as professionals and inspire other young people through their stories of success.
With your support, Ron Brown Scholars become leaders, creators and transformers in their chosen careers and professions who remain dedicated to impacting the lives of others.